EPA awards University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio for waste prevention
DALLAS – (Jan. 4, 2018) Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognized the prevention and diversion accomplishments of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and 15 other WasteWise national award winners. The award recipients collectively prevented and recycled over 355,801 tons of waste, saving $17.7 million in avoided landfill fees.
“This is yet another excellent example of the EPA partnering with communities and organizations to achieve environmental and economic benefits through waste prevention and management. The WasteWise award winners have exemplified tremendous environmental stewardship and fiscal responsibility, and we commend their efforts,” said EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt.
For 23 years, EPA’s WasteWise has helped organizations and businesses apply sustainable materials management practices to prevent and reduce municipal and select industrial wastes, saving them resources and money.
WasteWise partners reported preventing and diverting 8.5 million tons of waste that would otherwise have been disposed in landfills or incinerators. These actions—which include waste prevention, recycling, composting and donation—saved participants over $400 million in avoided landfill fees.
WasteWise partners who report the best overall improvement in waste prevention and recycling activities—when compared to the previous year—receive awards in various categories.
The 16 national award winners are:
College and University
- Texas: Partner of the Year - University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Georgia: Honorable Mention - Georgia State University
- California: Partner of the Year - The Presidio Trust
- New Jersey: Partner of the Year - Ravitz Family Markets, Price Rite Supermarkets, Inc.
- New Jersey: Honorable Mention - Ravitz Family Markets, Shoprite: Union Mill Rd., Mount Laurel Supermarkets, Inc.
- Illinois: Partner of the Year - City of Urbana
- Florida: Honorable Mention - City of Fort Lauderdale
- Wisconsin: Partner of the Year - Frito Lay, Beloit, WI
- Virginia: Honorable Mention - JK Moving & Storage
- Massachusetts: Partner of the Year - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Florida: Partner of the Year - Pasco County Schools
- Missouri: Partner of the Year - Urban Chestnut Brewing Company
- California: Honorable Mention - Earth Friendly Products
- Washington: Honorable Mention - CenturyLink Field
Very Large Business
- Wisconsin: Partner of the Year - Kohl’s Department Stores
- Illinois: Honorable Mention - Sears Holdings Corporation
All U.S. businesses, governments and non-profit organizations can join WasteWise. For more information: https://www.epa.gov/smm/wastewise (http://usenvironmentalprotectionagency.cmail19.com/t/d-i-oljhdiy-l-r/) .
For more about EPA’s work in Texas: https://www.epa.gov/tx
Connect with EPA Region 6:
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eparegion6
On Twitter: https://twitter.com/EPAregion6
Activities in EPA Region 6: http://www.epa.gov/aboutepa/region6.htm
# # #
______________________ If you would rather not receive future communications from Environmental Protection Agency, please go to http://USEPA.pr-optout.com/OptOut.aspx?518041x25799x134872x3x1707742x24000x6&Email=epa%40feeds.newsroomamerica.com. Environmental Protection Agency, Fountain Place 12th Floor, Suite 1200 1445 Ross Avenue, Dallas, TX 75202-2733 United States