(Newsroom America) -- The number two general in Afghanistan said Wednesday that commanders have implemented new procedures to make troops safer to operate, even as so-called insider attacks continue against U.S. and NATO forces.
British Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw told reporters that Afghan and other foreign officials have devised a better system for identifying potential threats, as well as questioning those who could be involved, The Associated Press reported.
The changes in procedures come as more than 50 Americans have been killed by insider attacks this year alone by insurgents who have infiltrated Afghan National Police or Afghan National Army ranks.
Despite efforts thus far, however, military officials have reported two more such killings in the past few weeks.
"That includes one Sunday in eastern Afghanistan that officials had previously been uncertain about. U.S. military officials confirmed Monday that it, too, was an insider attack," the AP said.
© 2012 Newsroom America.